Sunday, January 21, 2007

Benjamin Yoon - Assignment3 - Contemp Issues

http://funbunmysta.multiply.com/music/item/5

This was the only way for me to get my post in on time. Sorry

Hi, I’m Ben and welcome to my oral report. For this oral report, I’ll be talking about the possible side effects of domestic helpers who stay for too long a period of time. So in the life for rent 83cents/hour conference we looked into the issues on what could happen when FDWs come to Singapore to work. Maid abuse. Maids getting pregnant during their stay resulting in sending them back. There is so much to talk about.

So lets look at it from another point of view. Here is a question? How long should a maid work for one family before it is considered long. Is 6 years enough? Try 15years… later in the segment of my sound byte I will let you hear a short sound clip about a friend who had a maid who worked for his family for 15plus years.

Personally I think that six years would be considered a long period of time. They start getting used to their surroundings. They know their way around Singapore. They start finding loopholes in the system and abuse that power. Who knows? They might even start taking control of their employers

Okay, for this segment I managed to get a friend who wished to stay anonymous. He would be telling us about his experience with his family’s FDW who worked with them for a long period of time. And turned out to be problematic and acted like she was the boss of the house.

So there you have it, to add up to that interview I personally have suffered with such a maid before. At first when she first came to work for us she was hard working. I was still young then, but I knew. She took care of me, cooked lunch for me after school. Well this maid stayed with me for 6 years. Once she started to hit year 4, her work ethics just simply faded. She was being bossy. She brought other maids over to my house as if it was a party joint. I got threatened a few time, Also, she started to give attitude to my parents.

So when do you think you should say Stop! It’s time for you to find a new employer?

No comments: