Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Kane (S10032362F) T01

My audio : http://theodorerex9.multiply.com/music/item/3

Script:

Contemporary Issues - T01
Kane Wheatley-Holder (S10032362F)

The issue of Foreign Domestic workers has seemed to proliferate in recent years. Domestic maids have become both an asset to the common Singaporean and in some instances , something to over exploit and even abuse.

The forum on Domestic Maids conducted in Ngee Ann polytechnic was an eye opening experience into the life and issued surrounding FDW’s. Brought over from countries like Indonesia in search of a better life, FDW’s come to Singapore to work , earn a living for their families back home and to lead a better life. But are some FDW’s leading a better life in Singapore? While some would argue that the common house worker or domestic helper does not necessarily face any hardships when it comes to their Singaporean employers—it cannot be denied that some cases do arise that shake our morals , beliefs and ethical conduct.

Something that shook me and still does even after the forum is the way in which Domestic Maids and helpers put their emotional well being on the line every single day. There may not be a law against it , but in my view I believe that domestic maids and helpers come to Singapore for a living and get something they do not bargain for—something that I believe has not really come to light often.

Are agencies and organizations actually taking this into consideration ? The emotional well-being of FDW’s? The detachment from their home country, community, culture and families must have an effect on FDW, as well as the emotional baggage we as employers put on them everyday. What am I talking about ? How about looking after a child and expecting to do things for that child that a parent should. Loving a child? Should a FDW be expected to love a employers child the same way they would a child of their own?

I am here with one of my fellow classmates Kai. SO Kai do you think Domestic maids go through this type of emotional abuse What are the examples what do you think?

Khai speaks: Ok myself personally I have a maid at home. They do go through emotional abuse as well. Through my experience there was one time when my mum scolded a maid and she felt upset and you could tell she didn’t show it. People may some times blame them for things and go through a form of pain and suffering. But they do not tell anyone as they cannot trust anyone here or in a house , they have no-one toc all.

Some would argue that the common Singaporean or even student has to face problems like these everyday. The emotional baggage of home, school work and family does have its parallels I must admit—but does it really warrant a comparison?

Do you think student woes parallel FDW problems?

Bobbie speaks: While certain repercussions of their problems are similar, like having to stay up all night to meet the demands of the teacher in the students case or the employer in the maids case, the very nature of their problems are completely different. How can you compare a students work to a maids work she has to do to support her family? A student has to do work because he wants an education because he knows he needs one. A domestic maid fulfils her responsibilities because other people , the family, depends on her for their livelihood. A student has a choice as to how he handles his problems and his problems are within personal control , where a maid has less freedom to choose what she wants to do and when. She has to obey her employers orders for the good of the family . In fact is it very selfish to even compare students problems with that of a maid. An independent student ultimately only has his/herself to answer to, the maid has her family to answer to.


It comes down to trust. FDW’s are , I believe, forced to trust the employers families with their well being. It is this trust that in some cases, ( for example the FDW during the forum who broke down and cried) that is exploited and abused. Is there any Singaporean out there that would want to be in the shoes of a FDW? I don’t think so. Yes it is a respectable profession—but it’s a profession that carries with it the one important thing —trust. There is a certain measure of pressure that goes along with the job label that we cannot deny.

As for FDW assuming parental duties some might argue that it is part and parcel of coming into a developing country the hectic nature of everyday life here in Singapore. But does that mean it is ok? Just because life is hectic , is it fine for FDW to assume these roles? Where do we draw the line? Who draws it?

It is not just an issue of physical/ mental abuse. That is not what I am talking about. I feel that some employers may unknowingly ‘abuse’ their maids by making them assume roles that are unethical due to the Singaporean life and what it demands.

I spoke to a class mate of mine and fellow student of Ngee Ann to find out what he thinks. Is there a silent sort of abuse out there that some FDW’s may encounter?

Hari speaks :

“My aunty has a maid and I notice she asks her maid to do stuff like bath her one year old baby . Yes, I know of people who make their maids fill in the parental roles they are supposed to be doing and I can see this all over when I am outside. In the afternoons I see a lot of maids picking up children from school, bringing them to playgrounds and food courts. Sometimes I see, maids even carrying babies, even though the mother is right there beside the maid. This are roles that parents, especially mothers should play.”

In conclusion I do not think the issue of the emotional well being of FDW will solved completely. We as employers must understand that while FDW’s are here to help out with chores—they are not here to replace certain roles which we can fill ourselves. Trust is still an important issue and the employer must be trusted to carry out that responsibility as much as the Domestic helper has her/his own responsibilities while working. Once these two factors work in unison—a harmonious relationship can be fostered and perhaps over time can set an example for others to follow.

No comments: